Serves: 2-3 People
Prep Time: 15 min
Calories: 112 kcal
- (Medium sized) Okra (Halved) - 400 grams
- Picosa's Ghee Roast Spice Paste - 50-80 grams
- Picosa's Chettinad Spice Paste - 80-100 grams
- Desiccated Coconut (Optional)(Fresh) - 150 grams
- Coriander Leaves/ Any Herb - For Garnish
- Coconut Oil -15 grams
- Mustard Seeds - 5 grams
- Salt - As Required
- Rinse medium sized okra (bhindi) in running water for a couple of times. Then dry them with a clean kitchen towel or dry them naturally by spreading them in a plate.
- Slice off the crown and base tip of the okra. With a knife give a slit on one side keeping about 0.5 to 1 cm space at the top and base. The whole okra should be intact. Make slits on all the okra and keep aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add the desiccated coconut along with Picosa's Chettinad Spice Paste and Picosa's Ghee Roast Spice Paste and salt if necessary and mix well.
- This is the stuffing mixture. Check the taste and add more of salt if necessary.
- Now stuff this mixture inside each okra. Stuff very well.
- Stuff the masala in each okra and keep aside. There will be some leftover masala which we will use later.
- In a frying pan heat 3 Tbsp oil and crackle ½ tsp mustard seeds first. use a shallow frying pan and not a deep one.
- Lower the flame. Stir very well and then add the stuffed okra.
- Stir the okra well.
- Now cover the pan tightly with a lid and cook the okra on a low flame. If you want you can sprinkle some water (1 to 2 Tbsp) at this step before covering the pan.
- Do check in between and if the mixture looks dry or getting too browned, then sprinkle some water (about 1 to 2 Tbsp). Sprinkle all over and stir. Cover and continue to cook.
- When the okra is half done, add the leftover stuffing masala.
- Stir. Sprinkle some water if required. Cover and cook.
- It takes about 15 to 18 minutes for the bhindi to cook on a low flame. This is a dry okra when cooked. So there should be no water in the okra.
Use left/right arrows to navigate the slideshow or swipe left/right if using a mobile device